The Ultimate Christmas Gift Guide featuring local businesses

 Tis' that time of the year again: Christmas. I love Christmas, sadly not because of what it represents. I love Christmas just because of the time spend celebrating with my family but also for the GIFTS. I loooovvvvveeee giving gifts. Ever since I got my own money (okay a scholarship to study abroad does count), I used to buy gifts for my family (and some friends) and spend a fortune trying to send them home. I have not really stop over the years even though when I did not have money, my presents were "homemade". Although I am almost done with my Christmas shopping this year, I thought I would share some gift ideas featuring only local businesses from Senegal. 

Disclaimer: This is not an ad. I have not been paid by the brands I will mention below. I just like what they do and used them myself or they were recommended to me. 

Weaved scarves:

There are some local artisans next to the Colobane market that weave beautiful fabric or scarves. I have my fix on weaved fabric for this year so I might buy a scarf or two for my Mother. Unfortunately I could not find any proper address for those weavers but they are located next to the Colobane roundabout, behind the park in front of Kennedy High school. 

Picture source: www.senegal-export.com

Leather bags:

I got a leather bag from Jolof Cuir Collection for my birthday and it was a looker. I also liked the fact that I asked several questions before purchasing, and the seller was very patient with me. 


Yellow Leather Mini Bag, medium size with its cover pouch from Jolof Cuir Collection 

Clothes:

Since it might not be ethical to recommend my brand (but still shop here), I really like the collection of Bubus this particular one has put out recently: 


Wudere Collection Adama available at Wudere 221

Jewelry: 

It is very easy to find beautiful and cheap jewelry around the city at local markets. I usually get my fix at small jewelry stores in Petersen market. But for nice original presents, I recommend visiting artisans from Sandaga market or Soumbedioune Artisanal village. You may find some cute accessories in gold, silver or even gold plated. However, just recently I fell in love with this layered necklace I saw a friend of mine wearing. It is from Mathydy, which is not really a local brand but was started by Senegalese. The charms reminded me of the ones my aunties used to rock when I was a child. 

Melokaan necklace from Mathydy

Mathydy also sells nice watches for the men in your life. 

Shoes: 

Senegal is a country where it does not get cold. So we can rock sandals any time of the year. If you want some cute leather sandals for men and women, why not try Suuf Yi design. I got them to make a duplicate of a pair of shoes I loved so much but lost. And it was perfect. They also have their own design and make other leather goods such as bags and wallets. 


Khalil shoes from Suuf Yi design

Games:

You have to find something good for the children in your family as well. If like me, you are so done with the plastic toys that last a minute and the violent video games, why not invest in a fun game made in Senegal. I present to you "Yaa ma gena xam" which in Wolof, means " You know better than me". It is a quizz game but with questions centered around my country in history, geography and even civic law. It also has questions on general knowledge. I got a prototype of the game through my brother and loved playing it with the kids. The game also comes as an application so you can download it. 

YMGX game available at https://socialchangefactory.org/

 Here it is, a short but simple list featuring mostly local brands. It is nice to order things from amazon and all but sometimes we have to help out our people who are working very hard and making beautiful things. 

I do hope you get to have a wonderful time for Christmas this year amid the current situation. 

Comments

Popular Posts