Y2K fashion is back


Hi y’all!

Y2K fashion is back. And I am not sure how to feel about it!

When it was Y2K, which is just the street name for the early 2000s, I was living abroad in Japan to study. For the first time in my life, I had money to spend (I had a scholarship), and no longer depended on my parents. I could have gone crazy. But I was always very careful with money. Very, very careful. Some would even call me stingy.  However, when it came to fashion, I let loose. I wore whatever I wanted. My Mother could no longer veto my outfits. So I experimented within limits. 

A few months after settling in Japan, I received a suitcase filled with clothes my Dad had an Aunt living in Italy purchase for me. That aunt has always been sophisticated and lucky for me; she had 4 daughters, 2 older ones around the same age as me. Therefore, she purchased all the essentials an 18-year-old would need, but she also added some trendy pieces. Nevertheless, that did not stop me from shopping. 

Nowadays,  I see some of the trends back, and I cannot help but feel nostalgic. I never considered myself as being sexy or a baddie. But when I look at some of the pictures from that time, I was such a cool girl. I grew up developing complexes around my body. Moreover, I felt fat for most of my adolescent years. I would always wear boyish and baggy clothes to the dismay of my Mother.  However, for some reason, I really let loose in Japan. Sometimes I even think I went a little bit crazy. 

Now that I am older, here are ways I would adhere to the Y2K trend but still keep it relevant to my 40-year-old lifestyle. 

Snake print

I am not as obsessed with snake print as I am with leopard print. However, in the 2000s, I did have several items in snake print. My favorite was this slinky dress in blue snake print I wore to go clubbing, snake print wedge sandals I wore an entire summer back home, and this faux leather red snake print skirt with a high slit on the right thigh I also only wore to clubbing. I did have several clubbing clothes back then. You would think I was always outside. But No! I would go clubbing once a month. 


Tyla at the 2026 VMAs

Nowadays, the only snake prints I own are a faux wrap blouse in green and a leather snake print clutch I recently purchased from my bag guy. I have been looking for pointed-toe snake print ballet flats for 4 years now without success. So that might be my next purchase. 


Snake print ballet flats

Denim

 Do I even need to go there? I have been obsessed with denim forever. I think I have had all styles of denim pants. I even have shirts, skirts, dresses, and Bermuda shorts. 

Dress over jeans 

As someone who chooses to dress modestly, this trend has never left me. I always layer my denim pants with dresses that are either knee-length or shorter. I might want to go a step further and try layering my slip dresses with a denim long-sleeved top or a blazer on top when it gets colder. 

Micro skirts

I used to live in micro skirts back in the 2000s. And to think I even rode my bicycle around campus with them. However, I always kept it PG by wearing biker shorts or tights underneath them. Nowadays I no longer own a micro skirt. But I would like to have a micro wrap skirt made that I can layer over my pants for extra pizzazz. Come to think of it, even in the 2000s, I would layer a super short skirt with pants, particularly low-rise jeans, to avoid flashing people. Ah, good times!


Paris Hilton in the  early 2000s


Layered pants

Tube top 

Tube tops were an essential in 2000. I own one in burgundy corset style. I still own a few of them, but I wear them at home when I do not want to bother wearing a bra. However, a few months back I bought one in lace that I am dreaming of layering over a white shirt. I still have not dared to do it because the top is way too sexy. It is basically lingerie. 


Carry Bradshaw in a tube top

Lace corset style tube top

Accessories

Y2K accessories were all bold, colorful, and in your face. Last year I already bought some of them in the form of a flower brooch for my hair or clothes, a choker or two, and big chunky bracelets. Therefore, I think I will cool off for a while. The Y2K bags were tiny, think Dior Saddle bag. I already purchased a fair share of tiny bags that I barely use because I have too much stuff. Therefore, I will not purchase any Y2K-inspired bag. Nevertheless, I still think about that Uniqlo denim bag that I wore everywhere back in 2000-2001. 


My latest clutch


Uniqlo

And you, what are the Y2K trends you are dying to try? 

Comments

Popular Posts