Airbnb review: Flat near Akouedo camp in Abidjan

 If you have been reading me on my other blog, you know that back in February, I finally visit Abidjan in Ivory Coast. It was not a trip that was planned. I went on an impulse. However, I still did a little planning as I needed a place to stay. 

I checked the prices of the hotels in Abidjan and they were too much. So I decided to try and rent a room. I asked acquaintances who recently went there to share their contacts with me. I was introduced to a couple of people who managed apartments for rent in Abidjan. They were not really forthcoming. I wanted information about location, prices and pictures but they always took their sweet time to respond even on WhatsApp. Disappointed, I reached out to someone on social media who was very quick to respond with several choices. I settled for one because of the very attractive price but also the video of the place. 


The front of the building. My room was on the 1st floor, the one in the middle. 

I rented a studio located near Akouedo camp, around 6km away from Plateau. It was a studio located on the first floor of a building in an area that seemed to be in development. There were several new buildings, some in construction with older traditional houses around. Truth be told, had I seen the exterior before, I may not have booked the place. When I arrived in Abidjan, the owner put me in touch with a lady who would help me out with the apartement. I called her upon arrival at the airport and she explained the way to the taxi. Upon arrival, the security guard gave me the key and helped me with my luggage to the flat. 


A short video of the flat

The flat is small. It has a kitchen and a bathroom. The living room is also the bedroom with a round  dining table and two chairs, a sofa and coffee tables, and a Murphy bed (bed that folds into the wall). There is a small balcony, spacious enough to hang clothes to dry. The flat has all kinds of amenities. In the bedroom/living room, there is a closet with an iron and an iron table. My favorite thing is the apartment was the projector to watch movies. The owner also had a Netflix account for his customers. There is working Wifi. The kitchen had all the appliances I needed and more: fridge, stove and oven, microwave, toaster, coffee machine, electronic kettle and a washing machine. There were cooking utensils and cups and plates with cutlery. The bathroom was tiny but it had a beautiful shower system that I would love to own someday. It even had a timer and a thermostat to indicate the temperature of the water. I thought that I would feel claustrophobic in this tiny space but it was fine. My only concern was the front door. At times, when I wanted to lock it from outside, it was a bit difficult. I flagged it to the owner, who says he will resolve the issue soon. 


Part 2 of the video 


The shower system 


I also fell in love with this electric kettle. 


This is what you have to resort to while traveling alone as a woman sometime. 

The entire stay cost me 21.000 XOF ($35 or 33€) a night plus 4000 XOF for cleaning. I did not use the cleaning services but I still paid 4000 XOF as courtesy. The flat had cleaning tools so I did clean by myself from time to time. The place was quiet. Rarely would you hear noises. It was also safe. There were security guards. Furthermore, the owner was also super nice and understanding. Before coming I sent him half of the money and upon arrival I sent him the rest via Wave. But I still had issues to complete the payment because I could not find any Wave offices in the city. I finalize the payment once back in Senegal. The owner did not bother me one bit during my stay, which I appreciate. When I rent an airbnb, I do not want to be bothered by the owners unless there is an issue. The lady he put me in touch with, said that if I needed any help or informations I could get in touch with her. But I had Wifi so I could google my way around. There were not  many restaurants, local maquis style restaurants where I could order food nearby. I just saw a shop where I bought drinks and water. And there was a lady selling plantains and eggs around the corner. Yet it did not bother me that much, since I was in the city all the time I stayed there. 

I would definitely recommend the place. It is a bit isolated but it is quiet. The owner is nice and understanding and the flat is beautiful. Dm me on Instagram or leave a comment here, if you want more information about it. 

Abidjan does offer several places to rent for a short stay. You can always go on Airbnb or the Internet to check them. But before you book anything make sure the area is safe, and not far from all the places you want to visit. I am sure I will try and be closer to the city center next time I go to Abidjan.

Comments

Popular Posts