A Love Letter to Travelling by Mango Mousse

Hello everyone.

Today I thought I would let y'all read a nice little post prepared by a fellow blogger: Mango Mousse. Mango Mousse and I follow each other on Twitter (yeah I am there too, check me out here). We have never met but we interact from time to time. We both share the love of travelling. Sadly, I can say that I have not been able to properly travel in ages due to being busy at work, but also this Covid. But this lovely post by Mango Mousse reminded me of how nice it is to just travel. Read below and follow her here

I long for those moments where I step onto a foreign land for the first time and take a moment to soak it all in, to be grateful, to be present. That brief journey from the airport to the accommodation plays out like a short movie trailer of what the place has to offer. Wide-eyed and curious, my head constantly swivels left and right as I try to mentally bookmark all the interesting sites I pass by.

Arriving at my accommodation and receiving that warm greeting from my host is just the introduction I need to feel settled in my temporary home. Bags dropped, clothes changed, essentials gathered, and POOF, I’m off exploring!


I am overzealous with curiosity as I take in all the sights and sounds of this new terrain. If I am lucky, I engage in conversation with a local and truly get to know about their home’s idiosyncrasies: what makes them who they are, what are they proud of, what their society’s DNA is made up of. Alternatively, engaging in a discussion with a fellow vagabonding soul is equally as rewarding. Talking about the wonders of travel, the reason we do it, lessons we learned from it, and how our separate journeys led us to that specific moment in time.



Onwards!


Strolling down streets at my own pace and reminding myself again of how blessed I am to be there feeling uplifted and rejuvenated. From journeying for hours around the new environment, to feasting my eyes on splendorous sights that I have only dreamed of seeing, to zapping my taste buds with unique local flavours, and serendipitously stumbling upon hidden gems; these are all intangible keepsakes I collect to remember how spirited this world is.


Unknowingly, the mornings, afternoons and evenings spent at the destination start to breeze by, but I watch this day-to-night transition with fascination. Witnessing how a place wakes up with the brilliance of the sun’s warm rays and appreciating the motivation of early risers. Admiring the communal hustle and bustle with the crescendo of the afternoon working hours. Noticing the residents retreat to their abodes for a well-deserved siesta as the sun kisses the skies goodbye for the day. And at nightfall, the moon playing chaperone while the community lights up the atmosphere with a zestful second breath as a celebration for making it through another day.





And just like that, the adventure comes to an end. Bidding farewell to a place that embraced me, nourished me, and sparked my sense of wonder. As we soar higher into the skies and I look down onto the place I’m leaving behind, highlights run through my head: the fascinating people, the marvellous sights, and the eclectic cuisine, all cemented in my mental memoire to be revisited during random bouts of fernweh. And although saying goodbye brings with it melancholy, I take time to close my eyes, feel my heart beating with fondness, draw a deep breath in, and whisper to myself: "I was there".


Until we get to travel again to somewhere tropical, somewhere metropolitan, somewhere unexpected, somewhere familiar: get well soon world.


Comments

Popular Posts