Favorite places to Eat in Dakar

 Hello hello hello!

Today I will tell you about my favorite places to eat out in this beautiful city of Dakar.   

I love eating out but do not enjoy it that often because it is a Herculean task to get my friends to go with me on a particular day, with work and studies and family life. On top of that, Coronavirus arrived and messed up our lives. But Dakar is a great place to eat out and here are a few places I really enjoyed for the food, the service and more.

BRUNCH or BREAKFAST

- Mawa’s Taste of America 

It is by far my favorite place to eat breakfast. They have American style food and the price is very affordable. The restaurant itself is in a big house with a beautiful garden. The service is also great, it could be slow at times particularly when the place is jammed packed. Nevertheless, I like the place because the kids can play around while we wait for the food to arrive. The only problem is the mosquitoes. The waiters place some repellent on each table, but it preferable to coat yourself in repellent cream before going. 


Chocolate topped pancakes


Pancakes and egg combo

- Pullman hotel

Hands down the best brunch in town. A bit steep but totally worth it with a wide variety of food. Usually the brunches around town are centered around eggs and pastries. But at Pullman you get the entire deal: salads, seafood, sushi, grilled food, rice and other desert. Bonus point: you get to use the pool and lounge all day.


Seafood and sushi


Tart display

- La Royaltine

Located in Lamine Gueye avenue, this bakery shop offers the best hot chocolate in the city. When I have time, I sit there and enjoy it with some salmon sandwich or quiche. They also sell very good cakes, and chocolate. The place is always well decorated according to the season. It is the most beautiful around Christmas time. 


Hot chocolate from La Royaltine


Quiche and salmon sandwich


LUNCH & DINER 

- Bazoff

For affordable local food, this place is a must. It is a little tucked away in a neighborhood near Bourguiba boulevard. It is also a bar, and during the weekends it can be packed at night. They offer western food but also African delicacies. 

- L’endroit 

A little bit more upscaled than Bazoff, this place also serves African delicacies. It used to have live bands performing; but since I have not been there in a long time, I am not sure they still do. But the food is exquisite and very affordable. I like to eat the grilled Thiof fish with plantains. 

- Kabylie 

My favorite place to eat Pizza for they are the cheesiest in Dakar. It is also perfect for no fuss Girls Night Out, after work or to take the kids out. They serve mainly pizzas but they also have other food such as burgers, pastas and salads. Furthermore, the restaurant  has a bakery where I get puff creams and other cakes that are very good and affordable. 


Ngor seafood pizza 

- Cremino

I have taken the habit to go to this place whenever I run errands in the city. I absolutely like eating their big salmon cream fettucine bowl. It is so huge and creamy I often have issues finishing it. Cremino also offers salads (try the quinoa), brunches and ice creams. 


Salmon cream fettucine from Cremino

FOREIGN FOOD

- Le Séoul

Tucked away in downtown Dakar, it serves Korean food just like I used to eat it. They also have some maki sushi and fried rice. The price is a bit steep but totally worth it. 


Bibimbap, fried rice and Chijimi 

- The India Gate

hLocated at the Ngor roundabout, this tiny place offers generic Indian food. But is is very tasty. I go there to eat the food I used to enjoy back in India such as Biriyani, Butter chicken and Veg crispy. The price is reasonable in my book. 


Butter chicken and Palak Paneer at The India Gate

- Simone café

If you are looking for a quiet  place to eat breakfast or enjoy some cakes, this is the place. They also have brazilian delicacies.


Breakfast platter with an extra quiche at Simone cafe 


Brazilain delicacies and tuna sandwiches

- Matcha cafe

If I want to enjoy Japanese food with a twist, I go to this place. Located across the street from the Phare des Mamelles, they offer healthy Japanese style food but also green tea (matcha) based cakes and drinks. The price is a bit high and portions are not so huge. Yet, it is very tasty. They also do maki sushi. The place being small, I prefer to order from them. 


Maki sushi and Match latte


Chicken bowl

- Farid

I absolutely love this place. I go there to eat Lebanese or Mediterranean food. The restaurant is quite beautiful and peaceful with an outside seating decorated with plants. It is like going to a secret garden in the middle of the city. When I go with friends, I like to take this pricy speciality that offers a series of Lebanese mezze, with some salad, meat and rice and finally a desert cart to chose from. On some nights, they even have a belly dancer performing. 


Mezze at Farid restaurant


Grilled half chicken with fries

ICE CREAM

- Mamma Mia

This ice cream chain opened barely two years ago in Dakar and they swept us all. They offer really nice flavors. But what I like the most there is their fondant chocolate cake. Sometimes after work, I stop by and enjoy a small piece with vanilla ice cream all by myself. 


- Gelatiamo

I always stop there after a diner at L'Endroit which is next door. I like their ice cream sundae. I have the feeling that it is the only place where they make it like I like it, with lots of whipped cream. They also have milkshakes and proper food. 



CAFE

- Le Grand Cafe

The place opened fairly recently. I like their savory pastries but also their hot chocolate. I favor the chicken pastry that I often pick up when I need to eat on the go. I rarely sit there for I am always passing but just one day I want to go there to work. 

- L'Elysee Dakar

During Ramadan, I often go to there to buy pastries platters for home. They make this simple but tasty tuna sandwiches that we all love at home. But they also have good cakes and other savory pastries. It is another spot one can patronize while running errands in the city. Bonus point: they offer local dishes for lunch. 

FAST FOOD

- Jakarlo - Chez Joe

When I am in a need of a quick bite, I always go to there. I actually never sit to eat there but order burgers to go. I think that have the best burger in town when we look at taste, simplicity and price. They also offer local food for lunch and other fast food as well. 

- Comptoir

I have not been there in a while but they used to make the best stuffed crepes ever. They have a variety of flavors from sweet to savory. And the portions are so big I could rarely finish them. They also have very tasty sandwiches. Try the Philadelphia sandwich. The place can be jam packed during normal hours. So sometimes I prefer to order. 

Djolof Chicken

Opened as a way to rival KFC, Djolof Chicken is a fast food joint that serves, you guessed it, fried chicken. It is spicier than KFC and slightly cheaper. I usually pick the family pack for saturday diner when I am in no mood to cook. My kids love it. I have never eaten in the place but the decor is quite simple and nice. Actually so many of its branches are popping left and rght, it is very easy to find one in the hip areas of the city. On top of that, it is Senegalese owned. 


All this talk about restaurants makes me realized that I have not really been going out as much as I had planned. You see, I have this list of all the places I plan to go to. Next on it is this Thai restaurant that I have been dying to visit. Dakar is such a great place to eat out. There are so many restaurants from high end to cheap fast food. You can even find great delicacies from street vendors. And most of these restaurants are located in beautiful spaces, like those at the Corniche of Almadies, right in front of the sea. If you are a foodie, this city will not disappoint you. 

Comments

Popular Posts