On my radar: KITTEN HEELS


It is no secret that I love me some shoes. If there is one thing I constantly buy, it is a new pair of shoes. Although, I love the idea of a high heel or stiletto, it does not really fit my lifestyle. Let us be real, I actually cannot walk very well in them. That is why I rarely wear most of my heels, except for a special occasion like a wedding reception. 

Recently I have started to favor another kind of heel: the kitten heel. What is not to like? The heel is tiny, almost to the ground and cute. It has all of the attributes of the high heels but without all the fuss. I know many people in the fashion world have a repulsion to kitten heels. I am not quite sure as to why that is. However, it is making a comeback due to this pandemic. People are gravitating towards things with less fuss and more comfort. As for me, they serve a simple purpose: classy with comfort. 

First, let me explain for those who do not know, what are kitten heels. Kitten heels are heels that are relatively low compared to high heels. The heels can be between 2.5 to 5 centimeters. They have been sported by Monarchs s as far back as Louis 14. And we have French designers to thank for bringing them back in style in the 60s. They are called "kitten heels" in reference to young girls (kitten) who were supposed to wear them to train before starting to wear high heeled shoes. Come to think of it, my first pair of heels were this white  block high heel rounded toe pumps that I rocked for New Year in 1993/94. I fell that night. No one told me that I was supposed to start with kitten heels. (lol)

Now, I own quite a few pair of kitten heels (7 pairs). Nevertheless, here are some I recommend you purchase:

Satin

I have been in love with satin kitten heels ever since I lived in the USA. I used to thrift satin kitten heels. They would glam up any outfit. I know most of them may be reserved for weddings but there is no reason why you could not rock them casually. 


 Nina Shoes

Mules 

I live in a country where the mules will never get out of style, so why not invest in some cute kitten heeled mules to pair with traditional outfits. 



Mango

Charles & Keith


Sling-back

They are perfect for boardroom meetings, or after work events (that is if you still attend those)


Zara 

Please enjoy some pictures of me in kitten heels. 


In my thrifted Nina red kitten sandals


Polka dots slingbacks I got from Numero Uno


Thrifted white sandals 

Frankly speaking, most of my kitten heels are thrifted. I find them at local markets around town. But since they are back in style, you can find a great collection at all main shoe store in Dakar (Class, Kadel, ect). Do not sleep on local shoemakers as well. You can buy ready made there or even customize your own pair. 

Will you try this trend? 

Comments

Popular Posts