Inspired thread: Melahfa

Hello! 

I have decided to talk more about fashion in my country, particularly what influences the Senegalese fashion scene. I will call this series : Inspired thread. 

Today I will start with the Melahfa (Meulfeu).

A Melahfa is a 6 yard fabric made in light cotton that women drape around their body to protect them from the sun and sand. I always thought that it originated from Mauritania, which is a country between northern Africa and Sub-Sahara Africa, which also shares a border with Senegal. It can be very hot there so people have resolved to wearing light clothes. Since Mauritania is also an Islamic state, the Melahfa is practical for covering up.


Me the 1st time in a Melhafa


 However the true origins of the Melahfa can be traced back to India. The original Melahfa was made of a fabric in indigo called "Nila" or "Neel" which means blue in Hindi. It was worn in northern Africa all the way to Mauritania mostly by Berber women. Now there are different versions of it throughout Northern Africa but the one I am focusing on can be seen mostly in Mauritania. The word Melahfa itself derives from the Arabic word "lahafa" which means to cover. The Melahfa nowadays come in different fabrics, colors and prints. I have also read that the color and design of the Melahfa can represent social and or marital status. 


What I like the most about the Melahfa is that is so light and colorful. I favor the tie dyed ones. Moreover it is so reminiscent of the colorful outfits Indians wear in States such as Gujurat or Rahjastan.  


I got my first Melahfa in the 90's. I wanted to disguise myself as a Mauritanian woman for Mardi Gras at school. My Mom purchase a simple linen fabric in purple that I tied clumsily around my body. And I have been obsessed ever since. After that, I own a Melahfa in 2009. I was pregnant with my second child, back home for 3 months and could not find anything suitable to wear. I must have found the fabric at my Mom's and wore it a couple of times. But I could never tie it properly so I gave in and ask my tailor to make a dress and a tunic out of it.  

The thing with the Melahfa is that it is hard to wear at least for me. I could never figure out how to properly drape it. And to top it all, I am always afraid that the fabric will slip and reveal my body. That is why whenever I purchase them or receive them as gift, I just make a dress out of it. 

I am not sure when the Melahfa made its introduction to Senegal. But Senegalese Women really like to wear it, some to lounge around the house, others to wear outside. You can see many women wearing them on Friday as well. It is also the perfect outfit to pray for Muslim women as it is is big enough to wrap the entire body. 

Nowadays many Senegalese designers such as Nunu Design by DK or LeslyMac have been inspired by the Melahfa to make practical ready to wear clothes. I have seen styles such as maxi dresses, kaftan, and my fave the kimono. I think I will probably follow suit because it is such a fun fabric to work with. Plus it is just perfect for our weather. 


Melahfa Kimono by LeslyMac

If like me you want to get your hands on a Melahfa in Dakar, I suggest you go to HLM market and ask for the Mauritanian sellers. There are many shops there sellingyhh all kinds of Melahfa. The price varies from 6000 CFA to the double. There is also this shop near Castor that sells Melahfa in styles I have never seen before. I guess I will have to go there because I am in need of a brand new Melahfa, or two. 

Update: Here is a video of my Mauritanian friend teaching me how to wear the Melahfa. And she just gave me two for my birthday. She is the best. Sorry the video is in french.




Next time, we will talk about the Kabaa from Cameroon.

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the pictures here except mine. They were found on Google and Pinterest. I use them just to illustrate what a Melahfa is. 

Comments

Popular Posts