Favorite markets to shop in Dakar

Hello Everybody!

Ever since I returned home five years ago, I have been looking for great places to shop in my city. Dakar is such a great city for shopping because you can find almost everything here. But today I will tell you about the markets I go to shop depending on what I am looking for:

- Thrifted clothes

#Saturday Market:

If you want to buy used goods, try the markets. Dakar has a wide array of markets that sell cheap used clothes usually from the US or Europe. The first place I usually try is the Saturday Market, which as its name indicates is a market that happens every Saturday. It is a long alley covered with tents that goes from Liberte 6 down to "Zone de Captage" or "Castor" area. You can find clothes and shoes for adults and kids, accessories, home goods and more. When I started working, 90% of my work wear came from there. You can find really good quality stuff for prices like a dollar and up. You also have to haggle the price. My greatest find there were a Calvin Klein shift dress and Ralph Lauren peep top pumps.


I often wear the Ralph Lauren peep toe pumps for work 

#Wednesday Market:

Right next to Gallerie Sahm shopping mall, along university road, is the Wednesday market or "Marché
mercredi". Like the Saturday market, it is a market that opens every Wednesday. it is often a favorite of the university students. The prices are typically low but the goods are divine. I always go there looking for nice pair of shoes because they have many used shoe stalls around the market opened even on other days. The last time I was there I scored sweats for my children but once I did manage to find a brand new denim skirt. 


I got this tropical print wrap dress at the Wednesday market 


#Colobane Market:

Colobane market by essence is a thrift market. You can buy all kind of used goods there from clothes to video games. It is located near the city center near the famous "Place de la Nation". Yet I recommend paying extra attention while going there for the market is renown for pickpockets. I started going there only recently and I was never disappointed. You can also score brand new clothes and fabrics there. 

- Fabrics:

#HLM Market

HLM market is another market I absolutely love for you can find the best fabrics there. Whenever I need a particular fabric, I go there. They have several shops that sell all kind of fabrics from wholesale to retail: cotton, silk, lace, even Saris from India. They also have hawkers that display their beautiful eyelet (trendy right now) right on the streets. Over the year, I have purchased beautiful fabrics there not only for me but to give as presents. I also like to visit the market before Eid or special events because I can get henna tattoo done there. Finally few weeks before Eid, they install tents along the market where you can find everything you need to glam up for the event: shoes, bags, jewelry and even hats.


I got the hat from HLM market and the fabric to make this dress from Tilene market


#Tilene Market

Right after the University road in Dakar is Tilene Market where there are many hawkers selling fabrics for peanuts. I did visit the market only twice while I was looking for a fabric for my Eid outfit last year but I ended up scoring so much more: lace, chiffon and cotton. The array of fabrics makes it hard to chose but the price makes it easy to buy. I actually bought so much there that I have yet to finish taking them all to my tailor to turn them into clothes. If you also want to buy gold, Tilene is the place to visit for it have several shops selling real gold jewelries.


One of the oldest market in the city; it has everything one may need. I often go there to buy basic fabrics such as cotton but also lots of printed ones. Yet Sandaga is a one stop shop for everything because I can also buy shoes, accessories, clothes, beauty products, home goods, phones and computers, basically anything under the sun. 


I usually buy african prints like this one at Sandaga market

Accessories:

#Petersen Market

Petersen is a garage located near the city center with lots of mechanic doing car repairs. Yet somehow, over the years, a market started to form there. You mostly find Chinese made goods there: sandals, mules, bags, and jewelry. I often go there to find cheap mules and thongs that will last me a season and clutch bags. I have two stores I particularly fancy there: one that sells only bags and jewelry and another one owned by Chinese that sell clothes. I bought some really nice jewelry at the first shop such as coin "silver" necklaces I have been looking for ages. At the second store, I usually find lace kimono, coats and tops. The size tends to be small over there.  A few streets further those stores, you can also find a thrift market and other stores selling new things. I usually buy cotton tee shirts  and uniform polo shorts for my kids there.


Coin necklace bought at Petersen 

#Centenaire

Otherwise known as Dakar's Chinatown, Centenaire is where you go to find cheap stuff such as sandals, scarves, mumus and other accessories. I have to admit that before checking shops for a brand new pair of shoes, I often take a stroll at Centenaire for the prices are cheaper there. When I have an event and need a fancy clutch, it is the first place I look. Prices are cheaper there because they also sell wholesale. And they are the one who provide other vendors in Sandaga or HLM market. 


Pair of feathered mules bought at Centenaire market 
 
There you have it, all the markets I go to score good deals. If you know another market in Dakar that you would like to recommend, hit me up in the comment section.

Comments

Popular Posts