The Algorithm of a wedding (Part 2)

In part I of this post, I gave you numbers aimed at showcasing how expensive being a wedding guest can be in my city of Dakar. And for part II, let me give you tips on how to spend less. The key is to know how to borrow, reuse, get organized and recycle.

Borrow:
If you happen to have a mother (a sister or a close friend) with same taste and the same size as you, you can just borrow an outfit. I often dig into my Mother's closet for fancy clothes. She always complains but in the end she lets me borrow her outfits. She also borrows some of my accessories when she goes out anyway so I say it is a win-win situation.


My Mother and Baby Bro at his wedding




Me Borrowing her dress for my Best friend's wedding a few months later

Reuse:
Last year, around Christmas time, I splurged and bought myself a dress from a local designer. It was one of the most expensive dress I ever bought in my life. It cost me 45.000 cfa ($80. Yah I am frugal like that) but since the designer is the sister of a friend, I made small payments each month for three months. I could not pass the dress because it was exactly my style: modest, simple yet fabulous. I wore that dress for my baby brother's wedding in the morning. (yes I forgot to tell you that if you are the ones organizing the wedding, you need two outfits, one for the day and one for the night). I felt so at ease and received many compliments about the dress. One week later, I wore the exact same dress for my best friend's little brother's wedding. I recycled the dress because well, only my best friend had previously seen me in it. Guess what, if I have another simple event to attend in the future, I will wear the same dress. I will try and style it differently though. You can also do the same with your Eid outfits.


 Wearing my Eyelet dress at my Baby brother's wedding


Wearing the same dress a week later for my BFF brother's wedding

Get organised:
My mother recently gave me good advice. She told me that when I save up enough money, I should make myself three fancy attires and keep them. I will wear them only when I am invited to events. In other words, she wanted me to get some outfits ready for eventual parties. Like I said earlier, invitations can be so short notice that you end up spending way more buying a ready made garment instead of having a tailor make it for you. To remedy, you just have staple (not too trendy) outfits made that you can whip up once in a while.  I followed her advice and I already have two outfits stored just in case of a big event.

Recycle:
Finally, it also good to shop at thrift shops. Sometimes you can find really beautiful gowns that just need a button here or a new zipper there. You have to have the eye for alterations and see the potential in clothes. I recently did just that at my fave thrift market and bought two beautiful embroidered tulle gowns. I already rocked one for Eid this year and the other one at a wedding and baptism.




Thrifted this embroidered tulle dress at the market

As far as accessories are concerned, you just need one fancy clutch in black or metallic and one fancy pair of shoe in black or metallic.

Weddings are expensive, but you do not need to break the bank every time you are invited to one. The last time I attended a wedding, I wore my Eid outfit, borrow my Mom's golden clutch, wore the same mules I bought for my brother's wedding. The only money I spent was for the cab I took and the gift I bought. Please bear in mind that the advice I gave you is also applicable for any other ceremony or events you have to attend, be it naming ceremony, family events, religious festivals, diner galas, ect.

Do like me and save the money!!!

Comments

Popular Posts