The Pencil skirt

I have been coveting pencil skirts lately. I am not really sure what brought it on. Maybe it is my constant desire to revamp my look. Or the fact that you can see them on any hip girl in my hometown, Dakar.

Pencil skirts have not really been an option for me because of my expanding curves. I used to think that I did not have the body for it. But I decided to stop worrying about my curves, and embrace them. For this spring, I am going for pencil skirts. And here are the ones I covet:

- Jersey

Even if I already own one in grey, I still crave a jersey pencil skirt. The fabric makes it easy to wear. I also enjoy the fact that there is no ironing needed. I guess I was influenced by countless HIjabi fashion bloggers who enjoyed the skirt for it can be demure yet sexy at the same time. (Don't mind the contradiction!) I really want one in coral and one in black.



The Jersey skirt 


- Textured

When I think of texture, I immediately think of lace or eyelet, which might be my favorite textures of all time. And I long to have them made into a pencil skirt for a ladylike style. Two Christmas ago, I made myself a beige pencil skirt with gold lining. But this time, I would prefer to own some in white, cream and pastel colors like blush or baby blue.

Lace or Eyelet Pencil Skirt 

- Business

When I say Business, I mostly mean work wear (power suit). I crave a pencil skirt that is in dark grey (with or without pinstripes) but with some feminine detail for more appeal. I can see myself pair it with crispy white shirt and a dark blazer to impress.




Grey pencil skirt suitable for work

- Printed

What is more fun than a printed skirt? An African printed skirt! Even if I own several African printed maxi skirts, I have yet to get myself one that is a pencil. I would wear it with either white or black blouses, tucked all the way in. If I am in a crazy mood, another printed top would do.
I am also dying to try a tie dye version with demure slits.




Printed Pencil Skirt 


- Wrapped

As you may already know, I have a thing for wrap skirt, faux or real. Enough said!
Wrap Skirt


A pencil skirt is very easy to style. For work, pair it with a blouse and pumps; for fun outings, just add nice sandals or sneakers and a tee. But if you want to stay modest, go for blouses , oversized cardigans and vest. You know that is what I will do.

Some styles I like: (all images from Pinterest)











Comments

Popular Posts