Hotel Keparanga (hotel review)
New day, new hotel review! The boys and I went on our annual summer trip to Saly, and this time around, we decided to check out Hotel Keparanga. My original dream spot was charging way too much for two rooms, but I remembered Keparanga because my parents had stayed there twice and raved about it. So, I jumped on Booking.com and locked in two rooms for three nights.
In the spirit of keeping things budget-friendly, and sparing my Dad the hustle of driving us (yeah, I know, it is about time I start driving right?), I decided to skip private transport and take the bus instead. The bus leaves Dakar for Mbour twice a day (8:00 AM and 4:00 PM), and luckily, the station is right by my house. The ride was super smooth, taking under two hours. We hopped off at the Saly crossing, grabbed a quick taxi to the hotel, and were there in no time.
Hotel Keparanga is tucked away in Saly Poulang, an area I hadn’t explored before. It’s about a 10-minute drive from the center of town, right next to Lycée Français Jacques Prévert. The hotel looks very big, partly due to a gorgeous, lagoon-style pool, but it’s actually fairly intimate with only about 20 rooms.
The tariff (but it was cheaper via Booking.com)
Now, official check-in wasn’t until 2:00 PM, and we rolled up around 9:30 AM. But for an extra fee, we checked in one room while the other was being cleaned.
When we walked into our initial room located on the first floor, I’ll be honest: it felt a bit small compared to what I’m used to, and it definitely showed its age. At the entrance, you had the toilet and sink on the right (no douchette, for those wondering!) and a closet on the left. Moving into the bedroom area, there was a desk with a TV mounted above it, a mini-fridge, an electric kettle stocked with coffee sticks, and complimentary water bottles. Right off the room was a decent-sized terrace with two cosy sofas and a coffee table, all overlooking the pool. To the left of the desk was a fairly spacious main bathroom. By the time we settled in, it was raining outside, so we had zero plans to venture out right away. The kids were sleepy, so we all squeezed into the bed for a group nap while the TV was on.
Then… it happened.
During that short nap, the power went out three separate times. I had to call reception twice just to get things sorted. But to their credit, after the third blackout, the receptionist came straight to the room, apologised profusely, and offered us a complimentary upgrade to their suite. We gladly accepted! We headed out to grab lunch in town to give them time to get everything ready for us.
When we got back around 6:00 PM, they led us up to the suite located right above the restaurant, at the entrance of the hotel. It felt incredibly private, spacious, and bright, with massive windows offering views of both the quiet street outside and the pool below. The main living area was huge, decorated with a deep L-shaped sofa, a 4-seater dining table, a lounge chair, a TV, and a refreshment station complete with a fridge, kettle, and proper coffee machine. Tucked behind the dining area were the two bedrooms. The first was a cozy space with a queen bed, twin nightstands, and a vanity desk with a statement lamp. The second bedroom was located to the right, and it featured a smaller bed and a massive sliding closet with a cool Japanese-inspired aesthetic. It opened up onto a private terrace. Between the two bedrooms, we had a sleek bathroom. While the living spaces featured clean white tile, the bathroom had moody black tiles, double sinks, a soaking tub, a toilet, and a walk-in shower.
Suite entrance
Coffee corner
Tv area
Dining area
2nd bedroom (Master)
We felt right at home in such a space. However, we still had minor issues. The cable wasn't working when we checked in, but the staff fixed it promptly the next day when we brought it up.
We didn't eat at the hotel much, to be honest. The menu seemed pretty limited, though the boys did order dessert on our first night and thoroughly approved. Breakfast, which was included in the price, was a mixed bag depending on the day's capacity. On our first morning there, we were expecting a buffet, but since occupancy was low, it was à la carte. I got a cheese omelette, pastries, crêpes, a side of fruit, and washed it all down with a glass of fresh bissap. It was fine—decent, but nothing to write home about. On the second morning, more guests had checked in, so they rolled out the full buffet setup. The food quality was essentially the same as the day before.
Egg station
Breads, cakes and pastries
Cereals, salad, fruits and juice section
with Hibiscus juice
Rice pudding dessert
Is Hotel Keparanga worth it?
The Good: It’s a solid option. It’s secluded, quiet (aside from the chorus of frogs putting on a show at night!), and the staff is super diligent, friendly, and quick to resolve issues. Bonus point for the pool being absolutely lovely, and the garden very pretty to look at. There is a trampoline at the back for kids to play with as well. If you’re a family or a couple looking for privacy away from the main strip, it hits the mark.
The Bad: The hotel is definitely showing its age. A few small details could use some serious TLC—the mosquito nets in both the original room and the suite had visible tears, and the bathroom tile grouting needed a deep scrub to look truly fresh. I am not sure if it is due to new management, but it seems the quality of service has declined. My Dad told me that when they stayed there, breakfast was plentiful. They would offer him a jug of hot chocolate he had difficulty finishing. For us, we were just given a cup of hot chocolate made with powdered chocolate, not real chocolate, as my son suspected. Moreover, there is a lack of attention to detail. For example, when we checked into the Suite, there were no water bottles offered. Moreover, there was a kettle and a coffee machine, but no cups to drink with. Finally, beware of the monitor lizard on the premises. It is very discreet. I saw it roam around the gardens once and even swim in the pool. I do not think it is dangerous. However, if you are afraid of lizards, I thought I should warn you. There are several smaller ones inside the property. I even suspect some were inside the suite. I did not see them, but I noticed their droppings. Finally, the hotel is far from everything, and by everything I mean Saly center, where the fun is (beach, restaurants, shopping malls, nightclubs for the party goers). You will need a car to get around. You can also hire a taxi or a Yango, but some taxi drivers do not even know the place. You can always ask the reception to call a cab for you.
All in all, the upgrade saved the day, and we got the relaxed family getaway we were looking for! But will I return there? I am not so sure.
Have you stayed in Saly before? Let me know your favourite hidden gems in the comments!
For more, please check my reviews on Tiktok.

Comments